Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Fish Tacos

I have always been a lover of Sundays: in the busy life of a college student, they add some relaxed familiarity to my life. Today, I hopped into some comfortable yoga pants, went on a walk to the coffee shop with my dad, lounged in the backyard with a great book, and watched some wedding shows on TV. The most wonderful part is that most summer Sundays look like this for me.

One of my favorite Sunday traditions is early family dinners. Both raised in Italian families, my parents enjoyed early dinners that generally involved endless pasta, antipasti platters, and homemade desserts. Although we vary the main dishes nowadays, my family takes Sunday afternoons as an opportunity to eat together at the table.

Today, my mom was watching Food Network (I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!) and saw they were making fish tacos, and asked if I would help her whip together a quick recipe that the whole family would love. Obviously, I was more than happy to oblige.

Turbot Tacos with Guacamole, Cabbage, and Sriracha Greek Yogurt Sauce

The awesome thing about this recipe is you can really put your own spin on it. You can add whatever you like on the tortilla, or take away whatever you don't!

Turbot, a simple and decadent white fish, was fresh today at our fish market. However, you can choose any simple white fish at the store. We sprayed the pan, cracked salt and pepper on both sides, and squirted the fish liberally with lemon. Put the fish in a super hot pan and sear.

We threw together some homemade guacamole, which consisted of ripe avocados, tomato chunks, lime, hot sauce, and cilantro.

My mom asked me to make a spicy sauce for the top, and I decided to take a health-conscious departure from sriracha mayo. I mixed Fage 0% yogurt with sriracha chili sauce, tasting occasionally until we reached the perfect spicy-tart-creamy ratio.

We took all of those excellent ingredients, threw on some shredded cabbage, and wrapped in a corn tortilla. This dinner, although thrown together with no recipe or clue, was awesome. I discovered my newfound love for flakey turbot, and I'm absolutely obsessed with sriracha greek yogurt. I know I'll be making this super easy meal at school in the fall!



What did you eat on this lovely Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment