Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fall Favorites: Pumpkin Butter!

My favorite season is most definitely fall: something about the crisp smell in the air feels like fresh starts and cozy nights.

After a scorching Labor Day Weekend, I was so happy to see that the temperatures were steadily decreasing. Today was had a high temperature of 62 degrees, and I was beyond excited! I rummaged through my closet and found the most fall festive-y outfit I could find. My friend even told me I looked like an adorable pumpkin. It put a huge smile on my face.


Most people wouldn't be thrilled to be compared to a gourd, but my friends know of my obsession with all things pumpkin. I woke up early the day Pumpkin Spice Lattes were released at Starbucks so I could start my morning off right (pumpkin chai, please!!!) and my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is shoveling down the pumpkin pie. And the number of pumpkin-smelling candles I have collected over the years is bordering ridiculous...

Inspired by the weather, I decided to make one of my all-time favorite pumpkin delights: Pumpkin Butter! I love it because it's so versatile: spread on toast, swirled into Greek yogurt, or atop oatmeal, it's bound to make any meal a sweet treat.

This simple recipe is super easy and inexpensive, especially when you're used to spending major $$ on artisan pumpkin butters!

Pumpkin Butter Recipe



Ingredients:
1 29oz can of pumpkin puree
3/4 cup of apple juice
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Directions:
Combine ingredients in a large saucepan, stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring often.





Yup, it's THAT easy. And the recipe makes about 2.5 pints of goodness, so it will last you all season! (Or at least, until the end of the week...)

What are your favorite seasonal dishes? Happy fall, all!

2 comments:

  1. That is easy! I've never tried pumpkin butter (never see it in the UK!) but it I know it's something I'd love - now I know I can make it I have no excuse not to try! I'm already thinking of what I can smear it on ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost done with my first batch, and I'm ready to make another: I put it on everything!! I love it in my overnight oats the best. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete