Sunday, March 9, 2014

Whole30: Day 1 Recap

As of yesterday, my Whole30 challenge has officially begun!

I don't plan on doing regular daily recaps for the next 30 days - partly because I don't want to bore you, partly because I'm busy and can't keep up. I plan on sharing some favorite meals, some major wins, and some struggles a few times a week.

However, I figured I would share day #1 because the first few days are known to be the biggest adjustment. I found this timeline on the Whole30 website that outlines the most common responses to the challenge, so I'm aware of the imminent emotional roller coaster to come ;).

What I Ate


Started my day with an Arbonne Protein Shake. They're vegan, paleo-approved, and, oh yeah, did I mention delicious? I had one scoop vanilla, one scoop chocolate, a scoop of fiber, and almond milk.


It was the first sunny day in a while, and when the weather is nice I always crave something green and refreshing. I had a salad with eggs, strawberries, tomato, and edamame w/o dressing. If you're familiar with Whole30, you know I made a mistake here... if not, I'll talk about it later. #embarrassing


Since it's the first day of spring break, I went out with my friend and boyfriend for sushi to celebrate. I initially thought I was stuck with a plate of sashimi (which is not a problem by any means), but I noticed a cucumber-wrapped roll on the menu- yay! I had a Naruto Roll, salmon sashimi, and yellowtail sashimi.


Alright guys, I have a new snack obsession. It's these Chia Pods, and they're flawless. This one has only three ingredients - chia seeds, coconut milk, and real mango. It reminded me of my beloved yogurt but is completely paleo/Whole30 approved! I also snacked on half an apple, a shot of espresso (black), and Arbonne Detox Tea during the day.

What I Learned
  • Whole30 diets are expensive. I went to Trader Joe's to pick up some goods, and even at their amazing prices the organic/raw products definitely took a toll on my wallet.
  • Salads without dressing are actually insanely delicious. I had dressing on the side of my salad, but I was enjoying it so much I forgot to put it on!
  • Pinterest is such a great resource for Whole30 participants. Georgie and I have a board where we share fun recipes to try, feel free to check it out!
How I Felt
Fine. Quite hungry by dinner, but no big. It was only day one, haha!

Mistakes I Made
Ugh. I can't believe I already messed up on day one. I was eating edamame on my salad and asked myself, is edamame a legume? I googled it, and it turns out not only is edamame a legume, but it is also made of soy. #fail. Fortunately, it's early enough in my challenge that it won't make me sick, and I'll make sure not to do it again. But still, can you believe I messed up already? Classic.

That's all for now! If you have any tips or comments, feel free to share them below. Stay tuned for more updates on my Whole30 challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment