Sunday, March 23, 2014

Whole30: Hello, Happiness!

Sorry for the short blogging hiatus: my senior capstone project, which I mentioned a few posts ago, is FINISHED. I spent the last week working nonstop and barely sleeping, so I've been using this weekend to get back into my normal routine. It feels so good to sleep, workout, and cook again!

That being said, the Whole30 truly made this week less stressful. Instead of relying on cups and cups of coffee, my energy and enthusiasm have been at an all-time high. While my team was snacking on greasy, not-so-nutritious snacks to stay alert, I packed servings of almonds and tea packets to stay satiated. I also managed to squeeze a few short workouts in there, which served more as stress relief than fitness!

In my last post, I mentioned my Turkey Sweet Potato Bok Choy burgers; I food prepped so many that I ate them throughout the week and didn't have to worry about cooking amidst all of my work!

Turkey Sweet Potato Bok Choy Burgers



Ingredients:
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/4 of an onion, chopped
3 cups bok choy (or kale or spinach)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 pound ground organic turkey
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp almond flour

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion and sweet potato, sauté until onions are translucent. Add bok choy and cook until wilted. Set aside to cool. In large bowl, combine turkey, dijon mustard, egg, garlic powder, and almond flour. Add sweet potato mixture and gently fold. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour. Form 6 patties, and grill.

Obviously, I didn't survive on turkey burgers alone (although that wouldn't be the worst fate). I also relied on...

Protein shakes for when I was running out the door, which was seemingly all the time. This one happens to be Vanilla Coconut Matcha Green Tea.

EGGS ON EGGS ON EGGS. Seriously, they are the easiest things ever to cook and were a godsend to me during this insane week. If you're a college student and don't rely on eggs, I don't know what your doing. I made this with pork, guac and almonds.

And obviously, if you know me AT ALL, you know I had to celebrate finishing my capstone the only way I know how...

BRUNCH. Hello, two eggs over easy, local chicken apple sausage, avocado, and fruit salad. It was enjoyed with my girl Georgie post-Barre class (which is my new obsession, by the way).

This week was an amazing turning point for me. I realized eating the Whole30 way, once you get the hang of it, is actually super easy and stress-relieving during hectic weeks. Nothing is too hard if you plan appropriately.

Long story short, I feel healthier and happier than I have in a long time. Even though I'm entering the scary real world in a few months, I've never felt more balanced and content.

No comments:

Post a Comment